We recently released our libsyn App for Facebook as well as some awesome customization to have your own podcast player app within your Facebook page.
It seems like you guys are liking it!
@libsyn I installed on all the fan pages I manage, very cool app.— Pierre Journel (@pjournel) May 20, 2012
@libsyn thank you so much for this FB app! Great idea!— Cornflower (@cornflowermusic) May 20, 2012
We've been asking you for feedback and we will continue to do so, for in order to continue to develop this app we need your help!
Below are the answers to some questions/comments that we have received regarding the app. We hope to offer some insight as well as inspire you to share your experiences as well.
1. The libsyn Facebook App can only be installed on Facebook Pages- no profile pages, nor groups.
2. The libsyn Facebook App supports only those podcasts that publish episodes to the Libsyn Feed destination.
For most accounts to see what content you currently have on this feed you can go to: http://ACCOUNTSLUG.libsyn.com/rss - for example - http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/rss
If you are just using libsyn as a media host - but would like to use the libsyn Facebook app - you will need to publish your media files along with a title (mandatory) and description (recommended) to your feed destination.
Please let us know if you have any questions on how to get your content into the libsyn Facebook App.
3. For some the Edit Page Tab Settings option has disappeared once the App has been installed. This fails if third party cookies are disabled in your browser.
4. You will be able to tell the stats for those that consume your podcasts from the libsyn Facebook App from within your libsyn stats via the user agent.
We feel that having your podcast accessible straight from Facebook has the potential to create a larger fanbase for your podcast.
We are actively building the libsyn Podcast App Page to promote podcasts and producers and our aim is to create a page full of raving podcast fans. It will be the place to discover new podcast as well as build community around podcasting.
Please share the libsyn Facebook Page with your audience and ask them to like it!
Sales of apps soar pre and post-holiday due the number of new devices and iTunes gift cards given as holiday gifts. Now is the time to prepare your audiences and to promote your app.
Here is a super easy way to spread the word about your app - Using the same technology that Wizzard uses for major brand advertisers like Coca-Cola, you can run a campaign for your app in your entire catalog of shows!
With our ad stitching system we can attach a very short producer read promo in the pre-roll position of your content for a time frame decided by you.
TWO Steps to Start Your Advertising Campaign:
1. RECORD Your Ad for Your App
***FYI if you happen to record your ad in GarageBand, please make sure to remove the 5 sec of dead air!
2. SEND US Your Ad
Spot 1 Individual iPhone App - "For exclusive content, extras and more get the <ShowName> App today in the iTunes App Store."
Spot 2 Individual iPhone App & Google Android App- "For exclusive content, extras and more get the <ShowName> App in the iTunes App Store or Android Google Market."
Spot 3 Individual iPhone, Google Android App and Amazon Android App- "For exclusive content, extras and more get the <ShowName> App today in the iTunes App Store, the Google Android Market and the Amazon Android Market"
Spot 4 Podcast Box and Android- "For exclusive content, extras and more get the <ShowName> App today in the Adroid Marketplace or the Podcast Box available in the iTunes App Store."
A ten second spot is an awesome way to remind your audience about your app. Having this ad in your voice maintains and cultivates engagement with your audience. Who best to sell your app than you?
Check out these fantastic ads produced by podcasters promoting their own app for inspiration! Click and listen :)
Brain Burps About Books Ad
GamerTag Radio Ad
Looking for an Android App or iOS App of your own?
The Android version of the Podcast Companion App is now available as well as the iOS Podcast Box app! Check out the tour of both apps HERE
To get your Android or iOS Podcast Box app submitted you just need a $20+/mo libsyn account.
You can easily upgrade to this level or if you are a new producer simply sign up for a new account HERE.
Once that is done click on the APPS button when you log-in to your account and provide and submit the information needed to build your app. If you have questions you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you!
Looking for some ideas to offer some freakin’ awesome bonus content to your audience through your new iPhone App? We decided to compile a list to help inspire you. A lot of the following list is absolutely inspired by your fellow podcast app producers.
We’ve grouped them to help you locate ideas for your particular show! Check it out :)
1. Downloadable Wallpaper
2. PDF of your show notes or transcripts of episodes.
3. Coupon codes for products/services/software.
4. Contests/giveaways for app owners.
5. Audio extras (extended episodes/classes/messages)
6. Listener submitted extra content
7. Supplementary mini tutorials
8. Extra Classes
9. Essential Reading lists
10. Short Quizzes
11. Answers to Quizzes
12. Bloopers/outtakes/extra stuff
13. Extra movie/tv/book reviews (video, audio or PDF)
14. In depth reviews or additional footage.
15. Game specific tips and hints.
16. Game or consul unboxing (video or pictures)
HEALTH AND FITNESS
17. App Specific On the Go Classes/Workouts
18. Mini Video Fitness Tips
19. Healthful Recipe Card
20. List of Healthiest choices for eating out
21. 5 Minute audio stress relief
22. Inspirational quote(s)
23. Mini guided audio or PDF meditation
24. App specific eBooks
25. App specific coupons for your products
26. Extended interviews
27. Productivity tools reviews
28. Scripture readings
30. Inspirational wallpaper
31. Spiritual images (there are so many public domain images, a simple google search will give you a handful)
32. In depth product reviews or magazines (PDF)
33. Mini video software/hardware reviews
34. Sponsor coupon codes
35. Your Analysis
HOLIDAY AND SEASONAL EXTRAS
You can develop a wealth of bonus content simply by focusing on upcoming holidays or seasons. Obviously with the end of the year coming up you can offer so much to entertain, inspire, and inform your audience depending on the type of podcast that you have. You can create content aimed solely to entertain such as creating funny holiday videos or silly top ten lists, or you can prepare your audience for upcoming seasonal transitions, such as a checklist for preparing your 2011 tax appointment.
USE YOUR GUESTS TO INSPIRE EXTRA CONTENT
37. Say you have a guest on your show, why not publish their bio? Or even ask them one or two extra questions after you’re done with the interview and publish that as your bonus MP3 content.
COLLABORATE WITH OTHER PRODUCERS
38. Develop relationships with other content producers in your field and ask them to donate a little something as your app bonus content. It could be as easy as publishing one of their blog posts or videos on the app. It’s a win/win for everybody.
NICHE TOP 10 LISTS!
39. Share with your audience the things you have spent time learning in lists that are quick and easy to reference.
Don’t Forget! Let your audience know about your bonus content
Don't let your audience miss out on the great work that you do! Make sure that you tell your audience about it in your podcast, show notes or blog posts. A simple "App users check out the coupon in the extras for this week's episode," will do the trick. If you don't there's a chance your work will go unnoticed. That would not be cool.
We hope this was helpful to you! If you are struggling with the time involved in creating this extra content read our case study by a fellow producer who not only found the time but also value in producing some extra content.
For more information on how to add any of the extras above read this blog post that goes through it in more detail.
If you have any totally creative ideas, send leave them in the comments! We’d love to hear what you come up with to enhance the value of your app ☺ - Elsie