Looking for some ideas to offer some freakin’ awesome bonus content to your audience through your new iPhone App? We decided to compile a list to help inspire you. A lot of the following list is absolutely inspired by your fellow podcast app producers.
We’ve grouped them to help you locate ideas for your particular show! Check it out :)
1. Downloadable Wallpaper
2. PDF of your show notes or transcripts of episodes.
3. Coupon codes for products/services/software.
4. Contests/giveaways for app owners.
5. Audio extras (extended episodes/classes/messages)
6. Listener submitted extra content
7. Supplementary mini tutorials
8. Extra Classes
9. Essential Reading lists
10. Short Quizzes
11. Answers to Quizzes
12. Bloopers/outtakes/extra stuff
13. Extra movie/tv/book reviews (video, audio or PDF)
14. In depth reviews or additional footage.
15. Game specific tips and hints.
16. Game or consul unboxing (video or pictures)
HEALTH AND FITNESS
17. App Specific On the Go Classes/Workouts
18. Mini Video Fitness Tips
19. Healthful Recipe Card
20. List of Healthiest choices for eating out
21. 5 Minute audio stress relief
22. Inspirational quote(s)
23. Mini guided audio or PDF meditation
24. App specific eBooks
25. App specific coupons for your products
26. Extended interviews
27. Productivity tools reviews
28. Scripture readings
30. Inspirational wallpaper
31. Spiritual images (there are so many public domain images, a simple google search will give you a handful)
32. In depth product reviews or magazines (PDF)
33. Mini video software/hardware reviews
34. Sponsor coupon codes
35. Your Analysis
HOLIDAY AND SEASONAL EXTRAS
You can develop a wealth of bonus content simply by focusing on upcoming holidays or seasons. Obviously with the end of the year coming up you can offer so much to entertain, inspire, and inform your audience depending on the type of podcast that you have. You can create content aimed solely to entertain such as creating funny holiday videos or silly top ten lists, or you can prepare your audience for upcoming seasonal transitions, such as a checklist for preparing your 2011 tax appointment.
USE YOUR GUESTS TO INSPIRE EXTRA CONTENT
37. Say you have a guest on your show, why not publish their bio? Or even ask them one or two extra questions after you’re done with the interview and publish that as your bonus MP3 content.
COLLABORATE WITH OTHER PRODUCERS
38. Develop relationships with other content producers in your field and ask them to donate a little something as your app bonus content. It could be as easy as publishing one of their blog posts or videos on the app. It’s a win/win for everybody.
NICHE TOP 10 LISTS!
39. Share with your audience the things you have spent time learning in lists that are quick and easy to reference.
Don’t Forget! Let your audience know about your bonus content
Don't let your audience miss out on the great work that you do! Make sure that you tell your audience about it in your podcast, show notes or blog posts. A simple "App users check out the coupon in the extras for this week's episode," will do the trick. If you don't there's a chance your work will go unnoticed. That would not be cool.
We hope this was helpful to you! If you are struggling with the time involved in creating this extra content read our case study by a fellow producer who not only found the time but also value in producing some extra content.
For more information on how to add any of the extras above read this blog post that goes through it in more detail.
If you have any totally creative ideas, send leave them in the comments! We’d love to hear what you come up with to enhance the value of your app ☺ - Elsie